Ford: ’18 support for M-Sport ‘up another level’

Group Rallying Editor
@davidevansrally

Ford will take its support of M-Sport’s World Rally Championship programme “up another level” in 2018, says its new motorsport chief.

Malcolm Wilson’s M-Sport continued to run Ford’s WRC programme independently after the firm ended its full factory effort at the end of 2012, and last year won the manufacturers’ title as well as taking Sebastien Ogier to the drivers’ crown.

Ogier made clear that getting Ford more involved was vital if M-Sport was to remain competitive against the full works programmes from Hyundai, Toyota and Citroen, and shortly before Christmas it was confirmed that Ford would play a bigger role in 2018.

Mark Rushbrook, who took over as head of motorsport arm Ford Performance late last year, said during the 2018 WRC launch at Autosport International that Ford would assist M-Sport with all aspects of the Fiesta’s development this year.

“We’ve had a great partnership with M-Sport for over 20 years now and we were here to help them with the homologation of the car in 2017,” said Rushbrook.

“It was a great partnership and we were very happy with what was accomplished.

“But the technical support for 2018 will increase in all areas – engine development, aerodynamics, chassis work as well.

“We’re definitely looking forward to helping keep Malcolm and the M-Sport team at the front.

“For 2018 we want to take it all up another level. We’ve got global resources from a company that can really help keep this car going faster and faster every weekend.”

Rushbrook said he would be going to M-Sport’s base in Cumbria after the WRC launch to “go through a lot of the technical project” ahead of the 2018 opener in Monte Carlo.

Ogier is joined in M-Sport’s main line-up for this year by Rally GB winner Elfyn Evans, who is brought back into the primary squad from the now-ended DMACK programme in place of Toyota-bound Ott Tanak.

Recent news

Column

Are British championship calendars boring?

By Rob Ladbrook

Rallying News

Sainz Dakar quad incident penalty overturned

Dakar Rally leader Carlos Sainz has had his 10-minute penalty rescinded, after Peugeot presented...

Rallying News

WRC and Autosport Show working on 2018 public launch

The World Rally Championship launch could be moved to a public day of Autosport International...

Rallying News

Tanak says Ogier bias led to his M-Sport exit

Estonian star Ott Tanak says that being the number two driver to Sebastien Ogier at M-Sport...

Rallying News

Peterhansel wins stage, back to second overall

Peugeot's Stephane Peterhansel topped the 10th stage of the 2018 Dakar Rally, overhauling Toyota...

Rallying News

Ostberg still has Fiesta as back-up plan

Mads Ostberg could keep his private Ford Fiesta World Rally Car as a "back-up plan" if he cannot...

Racing News

Leading BWRDC figure Georgie Shaw dies

Georgie Shaw, one of the leading forces in the British Women Racing Drivers Club, died on Sunday...

Column

Rally Isle of Man is heading in the right direction

By Jack Benyon

Rallying News

Rider in Sainz incident threatens legal action

The quad rider involved in Carlos Sainz's Dakar Rally controversy has threatened criminal action...

Racing News

Kubica misses Williams F1 drive, lands testing role

Robert Kubica has lost out on a Williams Formula 1 drive this year to Russian Sergey Sirotkin,...

Rallying News

Tanak: Toyota 'best option' for WRC title shot

Ott Tanak says moving from M-Sport Ford to Toyota for the 2018 World Rally Championship was...

Rallying News

Dakar leader Sainz gets 10-minute penalty

Dakar Rally leader Carlos Sainz has been penalised for an alleged collision with quad racer...

Rallying News

Dakar leader Sainz under investigation

Dakar Rally leader Carlos Sainz is facing an investigation after a rider accused the Peugeot...

Racing News

Motorsport.tv to host entire Le Mans archive

Motorsport.tv is uploading the entire back catalogue of the 24 Hours of Le Mans to its exclusive...

Rallying News

Citroen WRC boss appointed FIA rally director

Former Citroen Racing World Rally Championship team principal Yves Matton has been confirmed...

Rallying News

Edwards gets factory M-Sport deal for BRC

British Rally Championship frontrunner Matt Edwards will return to the championship in 2018...

Racing News

Birmingham race evaluated by Formula E

Formula E has evaluated taking racing back to the streets of Birmingham for the first time since...

Rallying News

Peterhansel explains crash that cost him lead

Peugeot's Stephane Peterhansel was left "p**sed off" after the accident that took him out of...

Rallying News

Mikkelsen: Hyundai i20 reminds me of VW Polo

Hyundai World Rally Championship driver Andreas Mikkelsen says the manufacturer's i20 reminds...

Rallying News

M-Sport adds Suninen to 2018 WRC line-up

M-Sport has announced that Teemu Suninen will drive its third Ford Fiesta for the majority of...

Racing News

Autosport Show Highlights: Friday

Our team of national reporters pick their highlights from day two of the Autosport International...

Racing News

Button to race Jaguar XJR-9 at Le Mans classic

One-time Formula 1 world champion Jenson Button will drive a 1988 Jaguar XJR-9 prototype in...

1 2 3 40

More national news, in-depth race reports and analysis. Subscribe to the Motorsport News paper today.

What’s On

This weekend

No Events

Later

No Events

This weekend

No Events

Later

No Events

X