MSV waiting for Donington deal clearance

Scott Mitchell
This article first appeared on autosport.com

MotorSport Vision boss Jonathan Palmer is hopeful his business’s purchase of Donington Park will be cleared by the British competitions’ authority next month.

In January MSV announced it had struck a deal with owner Kevin Wheatcroft to take over the Donington circuit business and lease the estate for 21 years.

As this added Donington to a portfolio of circuits including Brands Hatch, Snetterton, Oulton Park, Cadwell Park and Bedford Autodrome, the deal was referred to the Competition and Markets Authority.

Since the CMA officially outlined its interest in the deal on March 3, MSV has not been allowed to be involved in the running of Donington, which has continued under the pre-existing management, though Palmer said his firm had funded the resurfacing of part of the paddock at a cost of £400,000.

The CMA inquiry officially began its ‘phase 1’ investigation last month, on June 19, and a deadline for a decision has been set for August 11.

If the deal does not pass at the first hurdle the checks will go to ‘phase 2’, which Palmer said could take “another six months”.

“It’s quite a long-winded process,” Palmer said. “We’re waiting for that clearance, which we’re hopeful of getting at the end of August.

“We wouldn’t have entered into the deal if we weren’t very confident of there being no grounds for it not to be cleared.”

Palmer is hopeful that MSV’s Donington deal will be approved. Pic: Jakob Ebrey

The CMA is evaluating whether the deal will lead to “a substantial lessening of competition” in the UK, but Palmer is confident that adding one circuit to MSV’s portfolio would not constitute this.

“The price of the circuit to rent is determined by location, desirability and the facilities,” he said. “So we’re optimistic it will get cleared.”

Palmer admitted it was “initially frustrating” MSV had to put its plans for Donington on hold while the process was completed, but said he was now busying himself with his company’s project at the former Laon-Couvron military airbase in northern France.

“Most of the work at the moment is on the French site,” he said. “We’re in the planning stages and getting the authorisations and that whole process.

“Part of that is working out what we’re doing with the site, the business plan, what’s going to work.

“We’ll probably get approval in about a year’s time – it’s a very big development, nearly 1300 acres with an airport, workshops, hotels. There’s a lot of property for rental and sale.

“Giles [Butterfield, Palmer’s right-hand man at MSV] and I are over in France once or twice a week. It’s pretty intense.”

Palmer is targeting “a maximum of six race meetings in a year” at what he says will be a “Very fast, sweeping, high-speed circuit”.

Recent news

Column

How important is the Mull Rally?

By David Evans

Rallying News

Henry aiming high on Ulster

Skoda Fabia R5 driver Desi Henry has targeted his first overall British Rally Championship

Racing News

Lines rejoins BTCC at Snetterton

Stewart Lines will return to the British Touring Car Championship at the next meeting of t

Rallying News

Mull sets dates for replacement rallies

The prospective dates have been revealed for the two events set to replace this year’s c

Racing News

Top Clio squad Pyro to enter TCR UK

Leading Renault UK Clio Cup squad Team Pyro is plotting a multi-car entry into the new TCR

Rallying News

Rally monsters return to Rally GB stage

Some of the world’s finest Group B, Group A and World Rally Car machinery will return to

Rallying News

WRC star Ogier conducts Red Bull F1 test

Four-time World Rally Champion Sebastien Ogier has described his test of a Red Bull Formul

Column

Is the British GP the one F1 race that CAN'T fall over?

By Rob Ladbrook

Rallying News

Ostberg to contest Polish ERC round

World Rally Championship driver Mads Ostberg will contest the European Rally Championship'

Rallying News

FIA's new junior rallying system to support champions

FIA rally director Jarmo Mahonen wants to have all of junior rallying streamlined into one

Racing News

Take That star joins SIlverstone Classic field

Howard Donald, one of the three key members of pop band Take That will make his racing deb

Rallying News

Loeb out of Silk Way Rally with wrist injury

Sebastien Loeb will not rejoin the Silk Way Rally after his heavy crash on Monday due to a

Racing News

Tickets on sale for Autosport International 2018

Public tickets are now officially on sale for Autosport International 2018 - Europe's bigg

Rallying News

Loeb crashes from lead on new Peugeot's debut

Sebastien Loeb has crashed while in a dominant position on the Silk Way Rally, the first c

Racing News

National racing stars of the weekend: Jul 15/16

Snetterton BRSCC: James Blake-Baldwin by Mark Paulson Reigning Mazda MX-5 Supercup champi

Rallying News

Pembrey's RX Circuit set for redesign

The Pembrey rallycross circuit could undergo further significant changes as early as nex

Rallying News

British champion Rooke gets Canada RX2 deal

RX2 title-contender Dan Rooke will race in the next round of the World Rallycross Champion

Rallying News

Richard Burns' godson Williams joins the WRC

British Rally Championship Cadet Class driver Tom Williams – the godson of the late Rich

Racing News

Ecurie Ecosse to be celebrated at Goodwood

An array of famous cars, including Le Mans 24 Hours winners, from the history of Ecurie Ec

Rallying News

Introduction of R5s 'saved' rallying in Ireland

The chairman of the Tarmac Rally Organisers’ Association has said the decision to make W

Racing News

Malvern hopes for more Porsche outings

British GT racer Scott Malvern is hoping that a strong performance in the next rounds of t

Rallying News

Ostberg parts company with co-driver Floene

Private Ford Fiesta WRC driver Mads Ostberg will start Rally Finland with a new co-driver

1 2 3 16

More national news, in-depth race reports and analysis. Subscribe to the Motorsport News paper today.

What’s On

X