Why the British Grand Prix might not be finished

Published on Tuesday July 11 2017

The break clause has been activated as the owners of Silverstone, the British Racing Drivers’ Club, has decided that it can no long afford to host the British Grand Prix at the Northamptonshire track.

That means 2019 could be the last British Grand Prix. Frankly, I am amazed the BRDC has carried on this long with what is, essentially, a massive ball and chain around its neck.

Whatever the outcry from the public will be now, in no way should the BRDC carry the can if the UK loses its grand prix.

And it is still an ‘if’, not a ‘when’.

When the future of the race faced up to its last major crisis point in 2009, the BRDC was the only organisation brave enough to stick its hand up and protect the future of the British Grand Prix.  No other party was willing to take the plunge on a deal that was going to be very hard to make work, but at least it had the guts to attempt to.

Instead of anyone criticising the BRDC for being unable to maintain Britain’s showpiece race, they should instead be thanking it for the last decade of F1 races that we’ve been able to enjoy.

The major problem is the increasing costs of the contract to host the race, which goes up by a certain percentage each year. In 2010, the first year of the new deal, the race cost £11.5 million to the BRDC. By the end of the contract in 2026, had it not triggered the break clause, that fee would have been £25 million.

It sounds like an outrageous contract doesn’t it… the likes of which could only have been drawn up by someone who wanted to screw every last drop out of the BRDC. But, of course, that person would then say that the BRDC didn’t have to sign the contract in the first place…

There has been a huge uproot in F1 since that deal was inked in 2009. Bernie Ecclestone, so often at loggerheads with Silverstone (and particularly the BRDC) has gone. In has come Liberty Media, and the BRDC has stated publicly that the event could continue if F1’s new leaders looked favourably on the race and its heritage.

It has put the ball in Liberty boss Chase Carey’s court. The BRDC has effectively made a cry for help – and this will be a good test of just how proactive Liberty is, how much it cares for the sport’s heritage and how much of its desire is purely commercially driven.

This could define the immediate perception of Liberty and its management in a lot of people’s minds.

It’s an intriguing game of cat and mouse but one, which if played in the right way, could possibly lead to the British Grand Prix having an even stronger future than ever with a realistic contract and a long-term commitment.

Let’s hope it can. But the alarm has been raised by the BRDC, and the people in charge of the sport need to take notice – before the race is lost for good.

As BRDC president Derek Warwick said on TalkSPORT last week: “We will just have to wait and see what is next but, unfortunately, I don’t think anything is really going to happen until people realise it has actually gone. It could be too late for everyone then.”

 

 

 

Recent news

Column

Are British championship calendars boring?

By Rob Ladbrook

Rallying News

Sainz Dakar quad incident penalty overturned

Dakar Rally leader Carlos Sainz has had his 10-minute penalty rescinded, after Peugeot presented...

Rallying News

WRC and Autosport Show working on 2018 public launch

The World Rally Championship launch could be moved to a public day of Autosport International...

Rallying News

Tanak says Ogier bias led to his M-Sport exit

Estonian star Ott Tanak says that being the number two driver to Sebastien Ogier at M-Sport...

Rallying News

Peterhansel wins stage, back to second overall

Peugeot's Stephane Peterhansel topped the 10th stage of the 2018 Dakar Rally, overhauling Toyota...

Rallying News

Ostberg still has Fiesta as back-up plan

Mads Ostberg could keep his private Ford Fiesta World Rally Car as a "back-up plan" if he cannot...

Racing News

Leading BWRDC figure Georgie Shaw dies

Georgie Shaw, one of the leading forces in the British Women Racing Drivers Club, died on Sunday...

Column

Rally Isle of Man is heading in the right direction

By Jack Benyon

Rallying News

Rider in Sainz incident threatens legal action

The quad rider involved in Carlos Sainz's Dakar Rally controversy has threatened criminal action...

Racing News

Kubica misses Williams F1 drive, lands testing role

Robert Kubica has lost out on a Williams Formula 1 drive this year to Russian Sergey Sirotkin,...

Rallying News

Tanak: Toyota 'best option' for WRC title shot

Ott Tanak says moving from M-Sport Ford to Toyota for the 2018 World Rally Championship was...

Rallying News

Dakar leader Sainz gets 10-minute penalty

Dakar Rally leader Carlos Sainz has been penalised for an alleged collision with quad racer...

Rallying News

Dakar leader Sainz under investigation

Dakar Rally leader Carlos Sainz is facing an investigation after a rider accused the Peugeot...

Racing News

Motorsport.tv to host entire Le Mans archive

Motorsport.tv is uploading the entire back catalogue of the 24 Hours of Le Mans to its exclusive...

Rallying News

Citroen WRC boss appointed FIA rally director

Former Citroen Racing World Rally Championship team principal Yves Matton has been confirmed...

Rallying News

Edwards gets factory M-Sport deal for BRC

British Rally Championship frontrunner Matt Edwards will return to the championship in 2018...

Racing News

Birmingham race evaluated by Formula E

Formula E has evaluated taking racing back to the streets of Birmingham for the first time since...

Rallying News

Peterhansel explains crash that cost him lead

Peugeot's Stephane Peterhansel was left "p**sed off" after the accident that took him out of...

Rallying News

Mikkelsen: Hyundai i20 reminds me of VW Polo

Hyundai World Rally Championship driver Andreas Mikkelsen says the manufacturer's i20 reminds...

Rallying News

M-Sport adds Suninen to 2018 WRC line-up

M-Sport has announced that Teemu Suninen will drive its third Ford Fiesta for the majority of...

Racing News

Autosport Show Highlights: Friday

Our team of national reporters pick their highlights from day two of the Autosport International...

Racing News

Button to race Jaguar XJR-9 at Le Mans classic

One-time Formula 1 world champion Jenson Button will drive a 1988 Jaguar XJR-9 prototype in...

1 2 3 40

More national news, in-depth race reports and analysis. Subscribe to the Motorsport News paper today.

What’s On

This weekend

No Events

Later

No Events

This weekend

No Events

Later

No Events

X